Our commitment to sustainability
Here at Strawberry Field, we are commited to sustainability, accessibility and responsible tourism.
Responsible Tourism is demonstrated through the Steps at Strawberry Field programmes, which help those with learning disabilities and other barriers to employment to learn new skills and gain work experience. All profits made from the exhibition, café and shop sales go towards funding these programmes.
‘Steps at Strawberry Field’ is made up of four individually tailored programmes, providing employment skills, work experience, and opportunities to volunteer. Trainees and volunteers from the programmes are offered placements at Strawberry Field to encourage their development and career opportunities, before in some cases, going on to two further placements elsewhere.
Strawberry Field is aiming to be the UK’s Number 1 attraction for accessibility, thanks to a series of upgraded and innovative features. Through research and focus groups, the team have upgraded elements of the visitor experience to ensure that everyone is welcome. Inclusivity is at the forefront of the vision and the upgraded features are now in place, making visiting even easier for wheelchair users and those with visual, hearing and other disabilities.
Sustainability was at the forefront of the building design and incudes features such as:
- Rectangular building plan minimising building envelope and heat loss
- Design maximising natural daylight and views and minimising impact on existing site
- Natural ventilation and cross ventilation
- Low temperature under floor heating minimising energy use
- Roof top solar panels providing onsite energy
- Use of sustainable materials
- Mature landscape preserved
- Enhanced planting to encourage biodiversity
- Sustainable Urban Drainage
The team on site work on a daily basis to promote sustainability best practice
- We support other local community-led charities and social issues in the area.
- Our Fresh Expressions Team spend time in the neighbourhood encouraging those who may benefit to spend time at Strawberry Field.
- Suppliers in the cafe and shop are thoroughly checked to ensure they demonstrate Strawberry Field values and go through a strict Salvation Army procurement process before being approved. We always strive to work alongside local suppliers in the cafe and shop.
- Every effort is made to create reductions where possible and be mindful of the impact the business has on the local area.
- Our team are conscious of waste, recycling and reducing single use plastic wherever possible.